I bought a 1984 Eldorado convertible a few years from a dealer friend.They don't use Carfax and i bought the car based on my examination of the car.

I am convinced based on the total condition of the car that the odometer reading of 34,000 miles is accurate. I tried to sell the car and we agreed on a price of $12,500. Buyer ran a Carfax and it showed that the car had 105,000 miles years ago. It also reported that the car was green in color at that time.

The car still has the factory blue color on it, and there is no way that the car has 139,000 miles on it. It is too good of an unrestored shape. That sale fell through and I'm not accepting a price of $5,500 for the car. I have no recourse against Carfax.

I've talked to other car collectors and have heard plenty of similar stories. I'm sure that someone in the past saw 05000 on the 5 digit odometer and just assumed that it had turned over. This is a nice collector car that has been driven very little.

Carfax is bad news.

Had an Experience with Carfax?

Comments

CCC Information Services - Vehicle Undervaluation CCC Information Services "I know that CCC Information Services Inc still practices unfair market valuation for vehicles. CCC Information Services has been involved in lawsuits and settlements in the past for under-valuing customers..." Read more Porsche Cars North America - Spend $100K on a Porsche that "leaks" Porsche Cars North America "...I do not know about the rest of the civilized world, but I've NEVER had a car leak in a rainstorm..." Read more Denial of extended warranty on Toyota Prius could could be a safety and liability issue of Toyota Toyota "In recent Consumer Reports, the second generation Prius has shown to have issues with the electrical reliability of the vehicle despite its overall high reliability ratings. As an owner of..." Read more Fleetwood RV 2017 Bounder brochure false advertisement Fleetwood RV "Purchased a 2017 Bounder 33C and took it out for first time last weekend to find the rear window did not have the day shade roller, only the night shade..." Read more 'Xlibris Staff is Clueless and Not Recommended Xlibris "I purchased my self-publishing package in December 2015 as an incentive to reach my goal of finishing my book. This information was provided upon my purchase and I confirmed that..." Read more Crazy Beta - Printed t-shirts Crazy Beta "Crazy beta had a really good customer service; they were really polite, quick and easy. I called them asking for mens t-shirts so they will give me the complete information..." Read more Miele - Product and service first class Miele "Have had two houses in the past twenty two years. First house dishwasher cook top and double oven. No issues. House from 12 years with counter top dishwasher and convection..." Read more Harlem Furniture - Table Broke BEFORE A move - NOT COVERED!!!! Harlem Furniture "I bought a living room set in March 2017 - paid CASH. My table broke BEFORE a move, but because I had to be out of the house, and I'm..." Read more