Carfax - I'M SUING CARFAX OVER MANIPULATED REPORTS. ARE YOU IN?

69 of 89 Carfax Reviews
Nov 03, 2011
review #272585

I sued CarFax in Riverside CA Superior Court for posting several erroneous reports including the "One Owner" report I relied on when I bought a "termite infested" Cadillac STS.It turns out there were 4 or more owners and never would have bought the car had I known that.

Prior to this, they posted a 3-4 owner report they changed to "One Owner" prior to my buying the car and relying on the Dealer's link to the report.

I have a default judgment against the dealer but waiting for CarFax's answer I gave their attorney an extension on to 11/14.

Anybody out there want a piece of this?Could be worth some real money damages.

7d83834
3.4
Had an experience with Carfax?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
69 of 89 Carfax Reviews
CAPTCHA
Pissed

Jun 17

Same issue. Bought a clean vehicle two years later shows a accident before my purchase.

Carfax has a price to pay

May 30

I said I bought a 2003 Audi in May 2012. Tried to sell it in May 2014. I forgot to mention that when carfax wrote that the total loss was in Feb 2009, they began reporting it on Feb 2013. They actually have these words printed on the report. Four years after it actually happened. Not only that! The dealer that sold the car to us also sold us a warranty based on it not being a total loss. What do you think all of these warranty companies are going to say when they provided warranties to total losses? What a can of worms!

Carfax has a price to pay

May 30

I bought a 2003 Audi in May 2012 with a clean carfax report. In May 2014 I tried to sell it to a dealer and he wouldnt touch it because carfax start reporting a total loss on the car as of Feb 2013, 8 months after I bought it. I still owe over $8000. I want to be in on the lawsuit. Thanks

ihatecarfax

May 05 Plymouth, Massachusetts

Carfax is a *** company. I bought a car in 2012 with a "clean car fax" no damages, etc. Last month I tried to trade it in or sell it and the dealer ran the carfax and it showed in 2013 (a year after I bought it) that damage was reported from 2011 (a year BEFORE I bought it.) Now I'll be upside down on the loan because no dealer wants to give me anything close to what the car is worth because of reported damage. So I'm stuck with this car I can't afford anymore for probably another year until I can break even. I lost about $5k because of this

CarfaxSucks

May 03

carfax reports my car as being "a total loss salvage car" however I have clear title, no branding, carfax has nothing to substantiate the claim.. they asked me to get a "A signed letter from dmv stating they have no record of any accident"
I asked them, "if my car was crashed, what shop fixed it?" - again no records.
we all know that no dmv will write such letters - it's an impossibility.
but the state has a vin check online and there are no records.
3) Im getting a letter from the police dept stating they have no record of any car crash like carfax reports.. but whether this is good enough for CF to remove their report, I don't know.
meanwhile, CF has made it impossible for me to sell my car!

MB

Oct 21, 2013

After buying my car based on a clean accident report, they reported an accident in August 2013, for an accident that presumably happened in January 2012! That is 20 months later- not getting reports on all accidents is one thing, but delaying an accident report could potentially be manipulation! Do you agree?

Sep 03, 2013 Boston, Massachusetts

Bought car 2012 Carfax gave it a clean bill of health. On 2/2013 Carfax makes claim that car was fire damaged and was deemed a total loss. Here's the kicker the fire damage was back on 11/2005.
Now car is worthless and no dealer will give any kind of trade value to the car and we still owe over 11K on the car.
This is Nightmare on Carfax St. There is no recourse for the consumer!

Eddy327

Aug 22, 2013 Seattle, Washington

I'm dealing with Carfax now on an incorrect claim that my car was in an accident and suffered "structural damage" two weeks before I bought it. I had it inspected at a body shop; they looked at everything from the weld spots along the unibody, to under the hood, to trunk, etc- they said there is no structural damage- and it's in alignment!

yeihyah

Mar 23, 2013 Bellflower, California

I want in also!!! cARFAX sucks!!!! I bought a used car from downeyNissan 2 years ago. Now that I wanted to trade in my car I come to find my car has been in an accident 6 months BEFORE I purchased the car!! It's worth less than half of what I'm still paying for. :x I've been doing all this research and come to find out that its true. A accident report is on file and the dealership is saying that its not true. This is so crazy and frustrating. All I wanted to do is trade my car for something bigger for my family. I'm paying for a car that's not even worth it and no lawyer wants to take the case until I get the accident report which I can't get because I'm considered a third party!!! Uuuuggghhhh!!!!!! So frustrated!!!! :(

Pat

Mar 20, 2013 Agawam, Massachusetts

carfax is giving used car dealers a bad reputation, dealers are victimized by carfax costing them thousands in losses, first with carfax's advertising saying see your "reputable" dealer for a free report so now the dealer has to spent $800.oo a month for unlimited reports which is the only logical option since now every car that the dealer even considers buying he has to make sure the carfax is clean. now what about when a dealer buys a 3 year old car with a good fax from say the Mercedes remarketing co. at an auction then 2 weeks later an accident shows up reported a few months before but carfax just put the info in, one would think because the leasing company pays so much that carfax delays the info until its back in the used market now the car is worth usually $2-$4k less at an auction because most dealers will not even consider buying a Mercedes with an accident

Tony Ruiz

Sep 07, 2012

I did bury them but turn back up like a bad penny. This is an awful company run by idiots but their attorney, once he got involved, proved to be the right answer. So, I would advise you to sue the mothers; you can find a paralegal or new attorney to write up the lawsuit for you, and if you don't make a lot of money the court may waive your fees...like they did for me. This made me whole again, but do not, I repeat, do not ever use carfax again. They're shysters, lie like rugs and make a practice of simply blowing people off hoping they won't go the extra mile. I exhort you to move against them, but never in small claims court. Always use the regular court where you get a real judge and preserve all your rights...unlike the small claims farce. Feel free to call me if you like at nine five one, two three seven, one two seven five.

Carfax.pissedvonsumer

Sep 07, 2012

I have tons of evidence against carfax and the dealer in my case ,when the dealer altered a report to cover up a fraudulant vehicle that they sold to me as low miles but really had over 250,000 miles more than 2&1/2 times the miles
It was sold for and now carfax is trying to cover up for the dealer.
I believe they are both comiting felony crimes on the federal level
1 the car dealer wire fraud ? Conspiracy to commit fraud
2 carfax for aiding & abetting & obstruction of justice
I'm in for getting justice

0 0 Reply
robin calcara / simply the bes

Sep 06, 2012

I am a small car dealer in lincoln nebraska. I sell a wide variety of affordable cars and have a good reputation. I do not believe in the extortion techniques used by Carfax. They spend big money to sell themselves to the naive public and then misrepresent the truth. Some friends of ours came back with a report that our car had an odometer issue. Turns out the dealer just estimated the mileage when we hadf it there for a service issue. By documentation it was proven that it was there error in not getting the reading for themselves. Then this week they, (the same dealer with the blow up car-fox in their lot) told our customer that the car we were selling them , that the car we told them ahead of time , had major collision in april of this year. It had hail and carfax once again was wrong, as the hail passed thru eastern missouri in april 2012. Our prius has all the original body parts with the exeption of the hood which we replaced. As a dealer who makes an honest income , represents the facts to my customers not only in truth , but most of the time with pictures showing the evidence, I for one am tired of being thrown under the bus . My dealer in nebraska is 3985 if needed. Manipulating reports / manipulating dealers.

Captian

Apr 16 Ypsilanti Township, Michigan

Have you came up with or found a disclaimer for your customers to sign that says "we (the dealer) will not be held responsible for a carfax or auto check report that is changed after the vehicle is sold"? I work for a dealership and we are looking for just such a form to relive us from the responsibility of a report that changes after the customer takes delivery of their new car.

JackO

Aug 19, 2012

carfax inaccurarcies hurt both buyers and sellers.

I advertised forsale my 2002 corvette(I am the original owner) with 100,000 miles.
Two potential buyers, decided against the purchase when their cafax reports
indicated that the odometer reading was 164,000 miles! one of the potential buyers responded by telling me that the "carfax" report indicted the odometer reading was changed.
(which I believe is a crime)!

I contact our service\repair station since the "carfax" odometer reading of 164,000 corresponded exactly with our 1999 volkswagon!

Yes you guessed it ...service stations are paid to submit information about your car to carfax.

My service guy admitted that car fax had attributed our volkswagon milage to the corvette.

apparently carfax gets info from an undeterminable number of sources and has no way of determing the accuracy of any of the information.
what's the old saying "garbage in...garbage out".

So, at least two potential buyers for my car paid carfax for inaccurate information, wasted their time
and money, I inturn, spent money on advertising my car wasted my time, and was accused of odometer
tampering and lost the opportunity to sell my car all because carfax "sells" incorrect information.

Since I never authorized anyone including carfax to "sell" information on any of my cars i think
i have the right to
... Show more

Slimgolf

Aug 17, 2012

How do I get in on this. I just bought a car with a clean carfax and now find out that it has been in an accident. supposed to have been a 1 owner car with no f'n accidents.

Carolyn

Jul 08, 2012

After viewing the Carfax, I decided against a two accident vehicle and told dealership why. Few days later Carfax had "updated" info on car to only one accident. I'm beginning to think the dealerships have a back door access to Carfax (for a price, of course).

pita

Jun 16, 2012

OMG!!!! I just bought a cadillac sts last night and today when i was cleaning it i realized that it is infested with fleas.... So nasty and unsanitary.... can i sue?

christy

Mar 31, 2013 Orlando, Florida

Just put some diatomacous earth in the carpet. roll the winows up they should die,If not you will have to flea bomb the car. Its not really worth suing over you can only win what you are out money wise and even then if you signed something saying as is or you are in a state that is implied as is you will be out of luck.

Showing 1-20 of 36 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Carfax.
Filing a new complaint about
×